Antichrist (2009)


I've been afraid to watch this film for years. Lars von Trier is the one and only director, whom I hate and love at the same time, whom I would like to punch in a face and shake his hand and in one moment say to him 'Thank you ' and 'I wish I could forget your films once and for all'. On every Trier's film copy should be written 'Danger! Causes misanthropy!' or 'Careful! Causes a metallic taste!'.
Every film created by this sick genius has a huge influence on my (and probably for every) mind. And that is why I hate him so much. But Lars von Trier taught me a totally different aesthetic, And that is why I adore some of his works.
Only in five years, I grew up mentally and one day I felt, that this is going to happen now. It's time to sit down and watch 'Antichrist'.


Few words about the scenario. A couple (just He and She, no names) lost their baby. They were making love, while their little son opened the window and made a step into the void. After this horrible accident, He takes Her into the woods to help Her fight with the enormous pain and growing insanity...
'Antichrist' is a film about destroyed 'Eden'. And it's a horror. Genuine, frustrating horror. 


I guess for many of you the most terrifying films are about dark and sick sides of human nature. I'm not afraid of different monsters or ghosts, or vampires etc. Maybe, because I'm sure they don't exist.

But dark side exists in every single person. And Trier is a master of showing it. If I could ask him one question, it would be: 'Your films are based on you nightmares, aren't they?'.


Trier has a brilliant and spectacular aesthetic sense. No matter how terrifying 'Antichrist' is, this film has a beautiful visual range. Disturbing, gorgeous frames, thick colors, mad-mad beauty.
And Trier stayed Trier and choose the most perfect music for the film.






'Antichrist' has a lot in common with 'Melancholia'. And saying this I mean not only the filming style, definitely, these films are deeply connected with sophisticated female characters. 






Charlotte Gainsbourg was born for this role, I cannot imagine someone else on her place.


And Willem Dafoe...Weak, but kind character. In a very Trier's way, of course. Perfect actor, perfect play.




I cannot recommend this film. If you are cinemacholic, you have to watch it now or when you be brave enough. 'Antichrist' is full of scenes with open violence and sex. This film is shocking as every single film of this totally mad and evil genius.


Post a Comment

0 Comments